Saturday, February 13, 2016

REVIEW: Coraline

   Many years ago I watched for the very first time a dark and spooky film, advertised for children. Ever from that first moment until now, I still think calling this movie a "Children's Movie" is quite a stretch. Coraline is a fantastically creepy movie with humor, adventures, beautiful art, and a totally spooktacular soundtrack.
   Suzette loved the movie so much my niece was even named Coraline. Of course, she's a positively bright princess, so I guess she's not doing too well living up to the name; however, our very own little Coraline loves the movie she was named after just as much as we do.
   Many years after first discovering the movie, Coraline, I finally got my hands on the book! To anyone who hasn't read the book, be warned, it's just as dark and demented as the film..! Personally, I think the book was even more creepy. With the book you get more details on Coraline's creepy adventure. There's also not as much comedy relief. I didn't know before diving into the book, but the character Wybie from the movie, doesn't even exist. I also would have to say that the movie has a lot more colors and happier scenes compared to the dark and danky book format. There's just a lot more creepiness as a whole in the original...
   Now, don't get me wrong, I loved the book! It was definitely thrilling, and the art fantastically gruesome; however, the movie was still equally as fun. I finished the book in one day, that's how easy of a read it was, and I would totally purchase it for my collection someday.
   I also have to give a hand out to the director, Henry Selick, and writers of the Coraline film, though. With the little that the original book gave, they were able to create a whole new world of magic and wonder, surprisingly bigger than Neil Gaiman could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment