Saturday, June 20, 2015

So Long Subway...

~*April 26th*~

I remember posting 3 years ago when I got my first job at Subway. I was quite excited. Since I had never had a job before, I was looking forward to "joining the workforce." I can definitely say that I learned a lot, good and bad, and I am appreciative of my time there, but I also know for sure that I will never work there again... 
I began my time at Subway under a wonderful manager named Kati. She ran the store properly and all of us employees worked well together. She was great with students and working around our class schedule, and was easy to give permission for holiday leave. I was always confident when I left for the summer or the winter holidays and I knew that I would have my job upon my return. 
About 2years after joining her crew, Kati left and we got a new manager. Justin, who had worked alongside us for years, was absolutely not a good manager. He was hardly ever at work, the store turned into a mess, he never did inventory, and he just did not care about getting the employees to work together. The only good thing about having such an awful manager was the fact that he actually allowed us to take food... Oftentimes, the employees would come in randomly and make themselves a sandwich, grab some cookies, a drink, and whatever else. It was nice not having to pay for food... But at the same time, he kept us understaffed. All last Fall I was stuck closing alone, for hours, and was usually not out of the store until 2-3AM. We also looked into the computer and it seemed that he was changing our hours so that we were getting paid less- as soon as I found that I out, I was preparing myself to quit... for weeks and weeks I was wanting to put in my 2weeks, but I needed a job... I was definitely looking for another job, and was just waiting to hear back, but I never did...
Back in February, I believe, Justin got a new job (thank goodness). He was leaving and we were getting a new manager: Kati's younger sister, Heather. She seemed cool, and was ready to take charge and bring the store back to what it was. For the next few months, Heather was getting on us closers making sure that everything was done properly; however, she didn't seem to want to help us out either. We would tell her what we needed, a second closer, but she never obliged. I was forced to close alone for months, taking care of rush-hours by myself, being left hanging by co-workers, but she never seemed to care much. I don't know if it was because she was young and inexperienced (she's only 19), but after several closings that lasted till 4AM, I was on the hunt for a new job again. But Heather got there 1st..! Before I got the chance to put in my 2-weeks, I got a call from Heather (the day after another late close) with a message stating that "my services were no longer required." On one hand, I was ecstatic at the fact that I no longer worked for Subway, but on the other hand, I was worried about my finances. Subway was the only place I was receiving money. 

Luckily, due to the fact that I was "fired" without notice, and without any means, I had never gotten a complaint or anything, I had all the legal rights of getting unemployment. My mom helped me figure things out, and it's only because of the money I'm receiving from them, that I have a place to stay. I'm still having to donate at BioLife twice a week, and am looking for a job for the rest of the summer, but it looks like I'll be alright. I have no worries. Thanks to my wonderful mother, and my philosophy to never worry about what I can't control, I know that everything will work out. I'll be at Disney in August, living my dream, I just have to pull through till then. 
I enjoyed my job OVERALL, but that could also just stem from the fact that it was my FIRST job ever. It may have just been a dumb minimum wage job, but I actually learned a lot in these 3years and I made a ton of friends! Here's to never working there again and to moving onto the future!! 
PS. Although I believe Subway is far too overpriced, I don't think I'll ever get sick of the food..! 

No comments:

Post a Comment